This ability is usable by most classes, and if used correctly, can 1) surprise the enemy, 2) avoid sentries and other choke areas, and 3) for some other maps, may let you reach strange/unusual areas. This article covers two methods that I use, applied to the 2 Fort 4 map. Of course, the ideas presented here can be used elsewhere.
First, make sure you have your grenade "prime" keys
within easy reach. In my own setup, I use W/A/S/D for movement, with
E from +gren1 and C for +gren2. Now, here's the first, easiest
way to Grenade Jump!
1) Visit Ammo room and max out on health and armor. (Remember to discard, please!)
2) Go to base of targeted jump area
3) Align yourself against the wall, facing forward. You cannot be touching another wall the same time.
4) Look straight up toward your target area.
5) Prime appropriate grenade -- DO NOT LET GO.
6) Continue to run forward into the wall while priming the grenade.
7) The explosion will carry you to the destination, if the grenade type is appropriate.
(For the front wall, please see screenshots below for best placement...)
Here's a small quake demo (30k) to visually show you the Hold Method of grenade jumping if you need more help.
1) Visit Ammo room and max out on health and armor.
2) Go Near the base of targeted jump area
3) Throw your grenade as close as possible to the facing wall, near the center area.
4) Put yourself against the wall, facing forward. You cannot be touching another wall the same time.
5) Look straight up toward your target area.
6) Continue to run forward into the wall.
7) You must jump at the same time as the explosion. This takes practice!!!
8) The explosion while jumping will carry you to the destination, if the grenade type is appropriate.
(For the upper respawn area, please see screenshots below for best placement...)
Here's a small quake demo (31k) to visually
show you the Timed Method of grenade jumping if you need more help.
(Please watch this demo and immediately play single player for a nifty surprise... hey, I aim to please.)
|Class||Grenades(1,2)||Front Wall||Upper Respawn||Best Choice|
|H#||Hold Method with Grenade #|
|T#||Timed Method with Grenade #|
|P[#]||Pipebomb-jump with # pbombs|
Demomen and Soldiers can access the grate area using pbombs and rockets.
HW Guys were unsuccessful in all my attempts, probably due to speed.
Class that are "Not recommended" have under 20 health points after jump.
(Of course, if a Medic were to accompany these classes... it would be all right!)
Medics and Scouts that use the Timed Method with
their concussion grenades will not be injured during the jump!
FAQ on Grenade Jumping...:
Does this really work? I can't seem to get
it on the first try...
Yes -- keep practicing. You don't have to be on a server to practice, ya know!
When should I use these techniques?
When you want a way to bypass the main lobby, the upper respawn way is great. It also provides a good way to do some "sniper control." The Front Wall could ideally be used when time is important (ie, flag is near their sniper loft.) Try to apply when you can, but don't over do it!
Is this a free ride? Why doesn't everyone always
You pay for it with your health, remember. Plus, I don't think everyone knows how to do it. Lets keep it this way. :)
Why didn't you mention the grate area more?
Well, that really needs rocket and pipe bomb jumping for those... they are not covered in this article. Look for coverage in the future.
Why can't the HW Guy grenade jump?
Because his theme song is "Loser" by Beck. And it might have something to do with his running speed. Maybe.
You cover the Hold and Timed Methods... will you
also write about the Rhythm Method?
I can't stress enough that Grenade Jumping will cost you health points. So it is imperative that you are at full strength before you do it. One more thing - if this seems difficult to do, keep practicing. Once you learn it, its really easy to do consistently.
I hope this help everyone out. If you find any errors with the
table or anything else, please let me know. Happy jumping!